Friday, September 28, 2007


Three months ago tonight we boarded the plane to return from China. Alexa has changed so much in that time. Tonight she ate waffles and yogurt and a banana for supper. And she drank her milk out of a sippy cup. During that long flight from China all she had was formula with rice cereal in her bottle.

During the flight she stood still while I changed her diaper while she was standing up in the tiny restroom on the plane and once I changed her on my lap during the flight. She was so good she didn't squirm or anything. She made it so easy. Tonight after her bath I wanted to put a diaper on her and she ran around the whole upstairs naked. It is now quite a game to get a diaper back on her. We have used the potty chair successfully a few times too.

Alexa is starting to say a few words. Her day care provider told me Alexa said "thank you" when she gave her a sippy cup this afternoon. We are doing some signing along with the words and I think that helps. She can sign "sit" and say it. I realized tonight when she was signing and saying "sit" over and over again that when she says "sit" it comes out like a command. Her tone is completely different. Chinese is a tonal language. The same word pronounced with a different tone will mean something completely different. When I am telling her to sit I am probably using a lower voice - because she is jumping on the couch or bed. So she uses a lower voice when she says sit.

She has shown no interest in her dolls -in fact a couple times I have thought she might be afraid of them. But tonight she grabbed a doll and brought it over to me and started pointing to the eyes. I said "eye" and pointed to the doll's eyes. She put her finger up to her own face and pointed to her eye and said "eye". She is starting to get it. I think she will gain more words quickly now.

Tonight we met another single mother with a daughter from China when we were at the store. This little girl is just a couple months younger than Alexa and was adopted in January. She is from Guangdong province also. We exchanged names and phone numbers and hopefully we will get together. It is so nice to run in to others who have had similar experiences.

I will try to get some more pictures this weekend and post them. I am pretty proud of my girl.